Happy Valentine's Day

The volunteers from VFC - children with special needs outreach
Valentine's day this year was not celebrated with Matt. It was with some children and friends. Today is the first time we went for our children with special needs outreach. We used ang baos to fold hearts for them since it was Valentine's Day.
Matt and myself was involved but halfway thru the journey, he was not feeling very well and so he headed back home and went to see a doc and was diagnosed with stomach flu. I went ahead with the rest to the Cerebral Palsy Centre at Pasir Ris.
Valentine's day this year was not celebrated with Matt. It was with some children and friends. Today is the first time we went for our children with special needs outreach. We used ang baos to fold hearts for them since it was Valentine's Day.
Matt and myself was involved but halfway thru the journey, he was not feeling very well and so he headed back home and went to see a doc and was diagnosed with stomach flu. I went ahead with the rest to the Cerebral Palsy Centre at Pasir Ris.
The beneficiaries has some disabilities in terms of physical and speech and some of them are teenagers but yet a mind of a small kid. We started off by playing the musical handshake to get to know them. Then there was a lion dance performance by RJC. The sound actually scared a few of those beneficiaries. One girl, named Xinyi was so scared that she held so tightly to me. Then we managed to calm her and asked her to sit down and I let go of her. A while later, her hand came fwd and held on to my hand. I knew she was still scared, so I continued to hold on to her to give her the comfort.
Then we were paired up with one of the beneficiaries to do some activites such as word puzzle and math. So me and another volunteer, Jasmine, an NUS medical student was with Xinyi. It was really tedious and tiring to teach her how to find the word and to count. Then came refreshment time, where I got to talk more to her and she became more chatty and make conversation with us. Sometimes, it gets a bit difficult in understanding her speech. I even got her to sing for me and Jasmine. Though we can't really hear the words of the songs clearly, but we knew that she was enjoying herself singing.
It was really a good but tiring experience. It's gonna be a once a mth thingie. It's really weird that I dun find Pasir Ris far.. but to go for worship rehearsal at Sembawang.. it's far.. haa.. i guess it's the activity that matters. :)
Then we were paired up with one of the beneficiaries to do some activites such as word puzzle and math. So me and another volunteer, Jasmine, an NUS medical student was with Xinyi. It was really tedious and tiring to teach her how to find the word and to count. Then came refreshment time, where I got to talk more to her and she became more chatty and make conversation with us. Sometimes, it gets a bit difficult in understanding her speech. I even got her to sing for me and Jasmine. Though we can't really hear the words of the songs clearly, but we knew that she was enjoying herself singing.
It was really a good but tiring experience. It's gonna be a once a mth thingie. It's really weird that I dun find Pasir Ris far.. but to go for worship rehearsal at Sembawang.. it's far.. haa.. i guess it's the activity that matters. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home